Thursday, January 5, 2012

achieve

It's no secret that I am a lover of blogs.  There are several I follow faithfully, and many, many more that I check often.  Today, I clicked over to my friend Abbi's blog from a link she posted on Facebook.  Her post today was about choosing a word for the year.  It's a good post, and I clicked through to the post she recommended at the end.  Before I had even gotten all the way through that post, I had my word for 2012:

Achieve

There it was, in my head.  And it wasn't going away.  Normally, I can be pretty indecisive.  Especially when it comes to choosing something like a word for the year.  I mean, that seems like a big deal.  Shouldn't I put more thought into it, dwell on it, maybe sleep on it?

Nope.  Because that's exactly why that word is perfect for me, for this year.  It's time to stop dreaming and start doing.

Since my birthday is New Year's Eve, I always start a new year of my life at the same time as I am starting the New Year {but I get a one-day head start. ;)}  So it's always an especially good time to reflect on the previous year and look forward to what I will achieve in the coming year.  {See how I did that?}  Except lately -and by lately I mean the past several years- I feel like there hasn't been much achieving going on in my life.

Sure, there have been some noteworthy things I have taken on, but I have way more ideas in my heart and mind that have never come to pass.  I think this will be a good year to achieve more than just think about, to do more than just dream.

a·chieve

[uh-cheev]  verb, a·chieved, a·chiev·ing.
verb (used with object)
1. to bring to a successful end; carry through; accomplish 
2. to get or attain by effort; gain; obtain: to achieve victory.
verb (used without object)
3. to bring about an intended result; accomplish some purpose or effect.

1.  consummate, complete; effect, execute; realize, reach. See "do" .  
2.  realize, win. 
 So, here's to achieving, completing, reaching, realizing, winning. :)
~abi~ 
 

1 comment:

thank you for spending some time here in my corner of the internet. and thank you even more for chiming in with your comment!