Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Glitter Jesus

There are some things you should know in order to fully comprehend this post:
~I love Jesus.  A lot.
~In my opinion, glitter makes the world a better place.
~Sometimes, I trade photo shoots for various things/services instead of requiring monetary payment.  For example, I've traded my hair girl Jamie for hair services, and my friend Abbi for beautiful handmade books, and the talented Heather for knit goods.  And now, I've traded my artist friend Matt for a Glitter Jesus.

IMG_8412

Here's how it went down:
I am supposed to do a photo shoot for Matt, of him and of his family.  Matt makes really cool paintings of Jesus.  And other things, but Jesus is my fave. :)  So, we had discussed a trade - a photo shoot by me in exchange for a painting by Matt.  A couple of weeks ago, during a random conversation at The Girlie Show, I somehow mentioned that perhaps my Jesus painting needed to be glittery.  It probably went something like this, "Glitter makes everything better!"  Matt and his lovely wife Deidra and my friend B might have laughed at me a little.  But it got the creative wheels turning in Matt's mind, and he decided to try it.

Last Sunday at church, he hesitantly presented the painting to me.  His exact words were, "I'm not too sure about it.  If you don't like it, you don't have to take it.  I can do a different one for you.  I'm not sure about the glitter.."

IMG_8416

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?

IMG_8413

I adore it!!!

Seriously, I love everything about it, from the subject {duh!} to the colors to the glitter.  Especially the glitter!

And how convenient that the upper corner, covered in purple glitter, just happens to perfectly match my purple velvet couch??  Yep...  Purple.  Velvet.  Couch.  Be jealous.

IMG_8415

On a different but related note, being the oh-so-proud-and-thrilled owner of Glitter Jesus does raise a few deep questions in my heart and mind:
~One, how do we think Jesus feels about being portrayed as Glitter Jesus?
~Two, is the world actually a lovelier place because of Glitter Jesus?
~Three, does glitter, in fact, make everything better??

Perhaps the best news involving Glitter Jesus is this:  He is already doing a great job at starting real and significant conversations about Real Jesus.

photo(1)

You see, the other night when my friend B stopped by my house, she of course wanted a photo of herself with Glitter Jesus.  So I snapped one for her on her iPhone.  When she showed it to her boss later, he said he couldn't see Jesus.  B's reply?  "It's because you don't know Him."

So there you go.

Happy Wednesday, my friends!

~abi~

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Kudos to your friend B for being blunt yet truthful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this soo much!!!! Jesus would def approve!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for spending some time here in my corner of the internet. and thank you even more for chiming in with your comment!