Wednesday, December 8, 2010

social media addict

Every morning, one of the very first things I do is get on Facebook. And then, throughout the day, I proceed to check it about seventy-five...thousand...times. Same with Twitter. Although, I do get all my @ replies and direct messages as texts, so that cuts down some on the checking of Twitter.

Awhile back, I got so convicted about my addiction to Twitter/Facebook/blogs, that I actually changed my home page to YouVersion. That way, the first thing I end up doing when I get on my computer is reading scripture instead of going straight to wasting time catching up on everyone and everything.

But still, I have a problem and I feel that it should be addressed. See, here's the thing: I can't imagine what it would be like were some disaster to strike and somehow wipe out social media. I am serious. The very thought makes me shudder. I mean, how would I know what is going on with the boy I like my friends?? How could I show off my cute outfits? What would be the point of even wearing cute clothes if they would never end up in a photo online...that someone could comment on?? {On a sort of related side note: it always baffles me when clients rave about loving their photos by me and then they never post them on Facebook. I mean, don't they want people to be able to comment about how great they look?}

It has occurred to me often that we now live in a world where there is a whole other realm called virtual reality. I know, I am stating the obvious here. But think about it. There are so many things that I really feel like I would be missing out on if I didn't see them on Twitter or Facebook. And I can't even think of how I would ever obtain this info if it weren't available to me via the aforementioned sites.

I know, everyone is all about less Facebook, more face time. But come on, people. Let's just admit what a wonderful, helpful, informative thing the internet is! And when I say internet, I mostly mean social networking.

Am I the only one who feels like this? Am I alone in my problem? Should I pretend to be more anti-internet??

~abi~

3 comments:

  1. nope...ur not alone. I admit I'm an addict too! I love seeing/hearing what's going on with people. I love learning how they think.

    For me, Soc Med is a tool to building stronger, more personal relationships with those I love and some that I would never meet. Because of Soc Med, I have friends who I know by name on six of the seven continents.

    It's a wonderful world to me and allows me to interact with neat people. I read a book recently and commented on the authors' FB page. Within days, both authors had personally responded to my comment. This type of interaction would have never happened even 10 years ago.

    Anyway...I'm preachin to the choir. All that to say "ur not alone!" Indulge yourself! (We love to read your mind, Abi!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way! I'm completely addicted to Facebook and Twitter! My mom still thinks that Facebook is evil and pointless, but she is just crazy. I mainly use Facebook to keep in touch with friends that I would other wise never get to talk to or see in person. So you are not alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope! You're not alone! I love being able to see what my friends and family are up too and look at their pictures! The other day someone mentioned that they enjoyed looking at my pictures and then re-commented and said that that sounded a little stalker-ish. I replied saying that the reason I post them is so people can look at them haha. Face time is great but it's not always possible with friends and family who live so far away, so facebook is sometimes the only way I will get to see or visit with some of them on a more frequent basis! and the internet in general is great!!

    ReplyDelete

thank you for spending some time here in my corner of the internet. and thank you even more for chiming in with your comment!