Tuesday, December 21, 2010

life lessons from a thrift store

Yesterday, I made my way over to a nearby thrift store to do a little shopping on my lunch break. This has become a normal way for me to pass the time and avoid the fast food trap during the noon to one hour.

My family is doing pictures today. As the unofficial stylist for my family, I chose the color scheme and decided to search the thrift store for appropriate clothing for all of us.

As I was browsing, I came across a dress with an interesting print in black and white that caught my eye. It didn't fit the color scheme for our session, but I knew I had to have it for myself.

IMG_0484

I could tell by looking at the tag that it was truly vintage. And when I looked it up later on Google, I was pleasantly surprised to read about the designer, Edith Flagg. According to Wikipedia, Edith was a survivor of World War II and was an active part of saving multiple Jewish people during that time. Her story is pretty interesting, and I even found a video with an interview of her by her grandson.

So, this is the dress that caught my eye with it's interesting print, and then revealed a fascinating story to me...
efdress1

efdress2

I could get deep here, and talk about the life lessons that could be learned. After all, I was shopping for family, choosing to buy "used", at Goodwill no less; and I discover the story of a woman who truly changed the world and helped others...

Pretty cool, huh?

~abi~

2 comments:

thank you for spending some time here in my corner of the internet. and thank you even more for chiming in with your comment!